Saturday 3 December 2011

Lusaka's Soweto and City Markets













Today (Saturday) I had a look round Lusaka and in particular the Soweto and City markets. Unreal. They are huge for one thing, very loud, filthy and the smell! And they have thousands of people shopping there. There are set areas; one for fish, one for vegtables, one part then for cabbages, a street full of alchol, and masses of second hand clothes from charity collections in UK, USA, Australia and Canada. Another area for tools, hardware, carpets, towels, womens clothes and so on. There are wholesalers on the edge of the market and you can get any type of clothing there. Levis are Kw10000 or about £1-30. As some of you may know I am not very fond of litter and rubbish. Actually thats not true I have an obsessive loathing of it. The rubbish at the market is horrendous and once the rains come for real I hate to think it will look like and is a real cholera concern.
Alot of people very wary of me particularly when I took some photos. We told them I was a special advisor to the council and that seemed to do the trick.
Glad I experienced it but I wont be going back.

1 comment:

  1. Hey are you still there? Hahaha, really its not even funny anymore, the situation has gotten even worse. There was an out break of cholera, a quick fix solution was applieid, vaccinate people in that area with the anti cholera vaccine and status quo remains as it is, people can go on trading in a filthy environment. Really sad.

    ReplyDelete